Berkmar Drive Extension
This new 2.3-mile long road will parallel Route 29 to the west and will offer an alternative for local traffic traveling north or south between Charlottesville and Albemarle County’s urban ring to the developed Hollymead area, the Charlottesville Albemarle Airport and the county’s park at Chris Greene Lake.
Construction Camera at Berkmar Drive Extension Project
A time-lapse camera is capturing images of the construction of the Berkmar Drive Extension project as construction progresses.
Check out the Berkmar Extension camera to view past and current photos or a time-lapse video of work in progress.
What is Proposed?
This project will construct an extension of Route 1403 (Berkmar Drive) north from its current terminus at Route 1438 (Hilton Heights Road) to Route 1719 (Towncenter Drive).
The 2.3-mile long road is proposed as a two-lane facility, built on a four-lane right of way, to allow for possible future expansion.
The project includes a bridge spanning the South Fork Rivanna River to the west of the Route 29 bridges.
Bike lanes, sidewalks and a paved multi-use path will be included in the project.
The inclusion of these facilities will be an important addition to Albemarle County’s existing network of similar facilities.
The bike lanes and multi-use path will provide links with existing facilities that will provide additional transportation options for those using the Route 29 corridor.
The project is included in the Route 29 Solutions projects and is proposed to advance through construction as part of a design-build contract.
That contract also includes the widening of Route 29 between Route 643 (Polo Grounds Road) and Route 1719 (Towncenter Drive) and construction of a grade-separated intersection at Route 29 and Route 631 (Rio Road).
Design Review Submissions
- Roadway plans, approved for construction (posted Jan. 26, 2016) 110.5 MB
- Roadway cross-sections, approved for construction (posted Jan. 26, 2016) 108.8 MB
- 100 percent roadway plans (posted Nov. 4, 2015) 89 MB
- 100 percent cross-section plans, part 1 of 2 (posted Nov. 4, 2015) 54 MB
- 100 percent cross-section plans, part 2 of 2 (posted Nov. 4, 2015) 55 MB
- 60 percent roadway design plans (posted Aug. 7, 2015) 61 MB
- 60 percent roadway cross-section plans (posted Aug. 7, 2015) 109 MB
Information and Resources
Roadway Designs & Concept Plans
Plan and profile 4.7 MB
(from Lane-Corman's Jan. 6, 2015, technical proposal)
South Section concept plan, Dec. 5, 2014 61.2 MB
North Section concept plan, Nov. 5, 2014 63.4 MB
Location Public Hearing Documents
- Project brochure, 5.2 MB
- Project comment sheet, 83 KB
- Diagram of proposed location alternatives, 5 MB
- Location public hearing legal notice, 31 KB
- Preliminary environmental inventory (Compiled as part of the state environmental review process.)
Renderings and Drawings
- Aerial rendering of Berkmar Drive bridge over the South Fork Rivanna River, 4 MB
- Ground-level rendering of Berkmar Drive bridge deck, 7 MB
- Typical roadway section 22 KB
Location public hearing: Thursday, Sept. 18, 2014, 5 - 7 p.m.
DoubleTree Hotel, 990 Hilton Heights Road, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901
Design public hearing: Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2014, 5 - 7 p.m.
Albemarle High School cafeteria
2775 Hydraulic Road
Charlottesville, Virginia 22901
Design-Build contract award: February 2015
Construction begins: Late 2015
Construction complete: October 2017
Total cost: $54.5 million
Engineering of roadway plans: $2.4 million
Right of way acquisition and utility relocation: $13.9 million
Construction: $38.2 million
These costs are preliminary estimates and subject to change as the project is finalized.